Its interesting to me that what “I want” often times seems to be elusive, out of reach beyond my grasp. What “I” don’t want seems to show up everywhere, easily available, promoted, and a part of everything. This same scenario, thought process or something similar shows up often, doing something or being somewhere I don’t want to be.
I am currently in the Northeast on business and its 19 deg. That alone is reason to pause and consider “what in the world am I doing hear” LOL. I am away from home, family, comfortable things and in addition not feeling well. I often times find that I allow my “self” to become agitated frustrated, wanting something more or sometimes wanting something less. A seemingly never ending cycle of wants, or needs driven by what I allow my mind to think about most.
On the other hand, it’s amazing to me that if I consider all that God has blessed me with or a specific prayer that has been answered just in the last few months it changes my outlook. I often find that out of that comes an opportunity to re think or observe what I do or how I handle something or situation. Sometimes it’s just an opportunity to say to my self “just for today” I can do this. My heavenly father knows my name, He knows my need and His plan for the life He has given me. His timing is everything His way is perfect and above all else.
I remind my “self” stay focused, move forward, don’t stop, let it in”. That ever present sense of my Heavenly Father, and His Holy Spirit, gently moving me forward, at a pace and direction led by the spirit not pushed by the flesh. His will not mine. I am nothing without Him a long over due realization that did not come easy. Flesh and bone without purpose or meaning, dust in the wind, in need of guidance and direction. I highly recommend reading the entire book of Ecclesiastes. An observation from someone with access and experienced all the world has to offer. An excerpt is listed below (King Solomon’s wealth and wisdom were considered to be greater than any of his time).
14. I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind.
13. Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the duty of all mankind.
I often find that a negative outlook, with ongoing comments about meaningless things, or a focus on self, things that are petty, or vulgar, seem to stifle, or block creativity, focus and strength. A person or group that is upbeat, positive, and has a more dynamic view of things gives energy. Opens up the space to contribute, look for opportunity’s to make a difference, overcome challenges, encourage others, and be excited about life’s opportunities. The life that I desire is that, a life lived with excitement and anticipation. An ongoing determined, commitment and resolve for excellence. A love for God, my wife, my family and those I meet along life’s path to encourage or help. It is being in the very center of Gods will. A life filled with an acknowledgment and witness of Gods promises.
4. Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice.
5. Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.
6. Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
7. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
8. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
9. Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.
10. But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me has flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but you lacked opportunity.
11. Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, to be content.
12. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
13. I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.
In this New Year look for those opportunity’s to set self aside and surrender to Gods perfect will for your life. Manage your thoughts and focus on His will and plan for you. Let him fill that place you have set aside for only the trusted. Set aside the hurt the anger the fear. If need be push it aside. Prayerfully ask for His will and direction each day. Opportunity’s to serve Him and others will show up unexpectedly with purpose. Those Devine appointments that minister to you and encourage others.
May God bless your life as you pursue him! May Gods love and kindness direct you as we are renewed and strengthened as he does a new thing in our lives, the journey to our new life is on foot, led by the Spirit and Gods Word, to serve Him, and others.