I have been traveling almost non stop for the last four years. It’s typically 21-28 days away and then home for seven. An answered prayer in regards to career, yet a challenge to have time to enjoy the blessings that come with it. Time alone and by my self more than I would like.
Several years ago I was working in another profession that came with lots of driving time and being alone. Getting to the oil well drilling rigs the company sold equipment to, could sometimes take 8-10 hours each day. The alone time, and driving really got to me. So much so I was always looking for an opportunity to “not be doing what I was given to do”. I wanted to be somewhere else doing something more, another job, and a better opportunity, to be more, to do more, and to have more.
It seems that same scenario has played out several times in my life. Limited access to those things I sometimes depend on that are often used to fill-in or take the place of what’s important. It’s amazing how during those times my willingness to pray more, read more, and to trust in God always shows up. Time alone with self my thoughts, and my Bible. The result has been a clearer sense of who I am and who I am not.
My experience is that often God uses those times of struggle, frustration, and the unknown to refine the Spirit within. Often placing or allowing us to be in a situation that fulfills a current need yet not so comfortable as to let our selves wonder off on our own. To much comfort and self reliance is often the path of least resistance. The Creator knows his creation and the forgetfulness that often comes with human nature. Life’s situations can be devastating for the unprepared or unprotected. In my life I have often wondered off on my own and away from Gods will. The result has sometimes been tragic.
In 1988 a series of forest fires ravaged Yellow Stone Nation Park. One fire was utterly unstoppable and the firefighters could do nothing but wait for it to burn” itself” out. Afterward the Forest Rangers searched through the burned wasteland to salvage anything they could. Standing like a statue was a dead bird that had been burned to a crisp in the fire. A Ranger tipped over the carcass with his foot. To his amazement out from underneath the dead bird scampered five little baby birds. They were living under the protective wings of their mother. That mother bird had stood in the fire and burned to death to protect her babies who were not aware of the danger, or what action to take, and unable to fly to safety on there own.
I have loved that true story since the first time I read it. The potential for numerous analogies of Gods love and care jump out at me. I am clear, under His wings is where I belong, wondering off on my own is not.
1. He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall remain stable and fixed under the shadow of the Almighty. (Whose power no foe can withstand)
2. I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, on Him I lean and rely, and in Him I (confidently) trust.
3. For (then) He will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence.
4. He will cover you with His pinions and under His wings shall you trust and find refuge; His truth and His faithfulness are a shield and a buckler.
5. You shall not be afraid of the terror of the night, nor of the arrow (the evil plots and slanders of the wicked) that flies by day.
6. Nor of the pestilence that stalks in darkness, nor of the destruction and sudden death that surprise and lay waste at noonday.
7. A thousand may fall at your side, and ten thousand at your right hand but it shall not come near you.
8. Only a spectator shall you be (yourself inaccessible in the secret place of the Most High) as you witness the reward of the wicked.
9. Because you have made the Lord your refuge, and the Most High your dwelling place.
10. There shall no evil befall you nor any plague or calamity come near your tent.
11. For He will give His angels (special) charge over you, to accompany and defend and preserve you in all your ways (of obedience and service).
12. They shall bear you up on their hands, lest you dash your foot against a stone.
13. You shall tread upon the lion and adder, the young lion and the serpent shall trample under the foot.
14. Because He has set His love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him; I will set him on high, because he knows and understands My name ( has personal knowledge of ) My mercy, love and kindness; trusts and relies on Me, and I will never forsake him, no, never.
15. He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will deliver him and honor him.
16. With long life will I satisfy him, and show him My salvation
May Gods love, and blessings be with you as you continue to pursue Him